When someone is in the middle of active addiction, drug or alcohol use tends to take priority over any other aspect of their life. They often neglect work, school, or family responsibilities and may have to deal with legal or financial issues. When someone has reached a point in their lives where they feel powerless over their addiction, it is best to reach out for help from experienced addiction treatment professionals.
At New Horizons Recovery, our team is dedicated to providing a range of high-quality addiction treatment programs for those who would benefit from the support of professionals. One of the ways that we help people get back on track is our life skills for addiction program. A life skills training program helps people gain the ability to embrace life and leave addiction behind. Learn more about life skills after addiction or our New Castle, Pennsylvania behavioral treatment program by calling New Horizons Recovery at 267.435.3134 or contacting us online.
Life Skills Training Defined
Addiction life skills training gives people who are in recovery a chance to improve their quality of life through a range of programs.
For example, life skills training can include programs such as:
- Stress management – Often, people turn to drug or alcohol use to deal with the stress of their lives. Stress management teaches people techniques that they can use to lessen the effects of pressure in life.
- Physical fitness training – One of the first aspects of life that are neglected when people use drugs or alcohol is their physical well-being. Physical fitness training gives clients the chance to not only enhance their health but improve their self-confidence and self-esteem.
- Nutritional classes – Besides physical fitness training, information about proper nutrition is another essential aspect of life skills training.
- Vocational placement – Another possible effect of addiction is losing a job. Through vocational training, people can gain necessary skills and find employment assistance.
- Communication development – By working with a qualified therapist, people enhance their methods of communication in order to share their thoughts and emotions in a healthy way.
- Financial management – Addiction causes financial problems, so part of life skills training is helping people get their finances back on track.
Life skills training is a practical part of an addiction treatment program, but how do you know if you or a loved one requires addiction treatment?
Signs of Addiction
Take a moment to consider these common indicators of addiction. If you or someone you care about is exhibiting these signs, it may be the right time to reach out for help from addiction treatment professionals.
A few typical signs of addiction include:
- Isolation from friends and family
- Denial that an issue exists
- Changes in sleep patterns
- Being secretive
- Problems with work or school
- Missing important events
Therapy Programs at New Horizons Recovery
Two cornerstones of life skills training and addiction treatment at New Horizons Recovery are therapy programs.
Some of our therapy programs include:
- ACT (acceptance and commitment therapy)
- Anxiety treatment
- CBT (cognitive-behavioral therapy)
- Depression treatment
- Dual diagnosis treatment
- DBT (dialectical behavior therapy)
- Family therapy and counseling
- Group therapy
- Mental health therapy
- MET (motivational enhancement therapy)
- Motivational interviewing
- Person-centered therapy
- Relapse-prevention therapy
- Vivitrol treatment
- 12-step approach
Explore Life Skills Training at New Horizons Recovery
Our New Horizons Recovery team is proud to provide a range of programs and services for our clients. We are committed to providing a safe space for our clients to learn and grow as they pursue their recovery from addiction. Find out more about how we can help you or someone you care about develop the capability to overcome drug or alcohol use and find joy in life again by calling New Horizons Recovery at 267.435.3134 or reaching us online.